Unilever Associate Scientist in Trumbull, Connecticut
Background & Purpose of the Job
This Associate Scientist position will be responsible for microbiological testing of B&PC products and ingredients to ensure a seamless delivery of hair care innovation to the North American or global markets. The focus of the work will be planning and conducting/coordinating testing that identifies preservation systems for final formulations to ensure delivery of products with the highest standard of safety and integrity to the consumer. This position could also include responsibility for developing innovative approaches to microbiological testing, product evaluation and preservation of products with unique approaches and developing a comprehensive approach to monitoring the preservative systems taken by other multinational companies manufacturing hair care products. This will involve working with internal R&D teams – including formulation, process engineering, regulatory affairs, supply chain, as well as, internal microbiology teams and external suppliers.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
You will be a microbiologist for Unilever hair care brands working with the Microbiology Manager and a team of R&D Microbiologists. You will interact with formulation, processing, safety and regulatory to ensure all stages of microbiology in innovation are supporting OTIF.
You will plan, conduct and document experiments that identify preservation systems for antimicrobial efficacy where required.
You will work with formulation early in the innovation process to assess ingredients and finished goods for risk of microbial spoilage to ensure all critical risks are addressed in a timely manner.
You will interact with R&D and Supply Chain partners from other teams – global, local - to insure the flawless transfer and execution of innovations.
You will support the objectives of the global microbiology program and technically contribute to common team projects.
You will investigate potential novel microbiological methods for future use in R&D and Supply Chain.
You will complete formulation and ingredient risk assessment upon conclusion of a project and recommendation preservation systems for B&PC products.
You will have opportunities to communicate the progression of the microbiology program to key stakeholders.
Above all, you will maintain a clean and safe working environment and support a safe workplace culture.
• You’re a born leader:
• You’re a dot connector:
• You’re a paradox navigator:
What You’ll Need To Succeed
· Lead and deliver microbiology innovation packages by completing product evaluations to demonstrate suitable efficacy of preservation systems in finished formulations based on product brief from formulation teams.
· Perform, when required, preservation challenge testing and associated microbiological tests on lab, pilot plant trials and production scale samples.
· Prepare microbiological test media and reagents for use in testing.
· Interpret results and suggest scientifically sound next steps (with appropriate assistance and support).
· Identify improved ways of working and simplified processes.
· Ability to work in a collaborative team environment with flexibility and open mindedness in achieving objectives.
· Operates according to procedures and ways of working in line with Unilever frameworks, standards, and adheres to all company policies, programs, rules, regulations, and safety rules. policies (SHE, SEAC, etc), relevant regulations (i.e. FDA), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) as well as Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs).
What You’ll Need To Succeed
Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology or Biology
2 years experience in personal care microbiology preferred but not required.
Proficient in Microsoft office packages (Excel, Word, Power point)
Time management skills to coordinate multiple work streams.
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
Primary Location: United States-Connecticut-Trumbull-Trumbull -40 Merritt Blvd
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Req ID: 18000FBE