Unilever Quality Specialist - 3PM/Supplier in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
* Englewood Cliffs, NJ *
Background & Purpose of the Job
The Quality Specialist-3PM/Supplier role works within the Quality organization in North America and focuses on factory operations - implementing, executing, improving and providing technical quality support to the 3rd Party Manufacturing Sites and Suppliers. The role is responsible for managing quality activities to assure ongoing achievement of product specifications at manufacturing partners and key suppliers. This position also is responsible for ensuring that appropriate quality audits are performed relative to consumer safety, and product quality. The role examines manufacturing facility environmental risk and identifies opportunities for improvement.
The scope of the role includes 3rd Party manufacturing sites (mostly) based in North America making Seventh Generation products, but may also include the Unilever Foods and Personal Care businesses. The scope is for the North American market. Decision making directly affects innovation success, consumer safety and quality of UL products in the market place impacting UL reputation and brand equity. This is a key role in mitigating and managing Unilever corporate operational risk (design and production of products that meet our environmental, consumer safety and quality standards).
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
The day and week activities can vary greatly –
- Visits to assigned 3PMs to fulfill what is stated in the job description.
- Telephone conference calls with Supply Chain Innovation leaders to ensure new product start-ups at 3PMs are planned and executed properly.
- Office time – recapping a technical visit, what was found, next steps, etc.
- Assessing and ensuring that for the top five reasons for recalls - 3PM gaps are identified and mitigations are being put into place.
- Consulting with Trumbull Microbiologists, in order to reach clarity on non-conformance risk, and their recommendations to further re-test held product
- Discussion and review of 3PM product issues with our Go-to Market Quality colleagues to achieve a release to marketplace outcome.
It’s all about getting very close (building relationships) within Unilever (third party procurement management, R&D product & process developers… and at the assigned 3PMs (Quality Managers & Supervisors and Manufacturing personnel). It’s important to prioritize which battles to fight, and which to save for another day… I can help with that. I want the person in this role to succeed and to develop… be prepared for the next role within the Quality organization.
The team goal is to bring our third-party manufacturers up to our Unilever cultural expectations for making Quality products. Raise the Quality bar!!! We have a diverse and extremely knowledgeable 40-person Q team in the North American Q organization. The Brands you’ll be associated with are iconic… who can’t get excited about working with major, leading consumer brands?
* You’re a strategy guru:* How does a small company that Unilever relies on get from A to B to C? You will show them the way – it’s in your blood.
* You’re a teacher:* You are a SME… a Subject Matter Expert! You have the knowledge and will share that knowledge within Unilever and at our valued manufacturing partners.
* You’re a changemaker:* You love the concept of continuous improvement. You have the tools to impart significant change for the better – in ANY organization.
* You’re a culture & change champion:* Quality has to be cultural by nature, and it flows from the highest levels of management in an organization to all staff & personnel. You have a strong desire to be the influencer of change toward quality excellence.
What You’ll Need To Succeed
Candidate Professional Skills/Experience Required: • Minimum BS in Science or Engineering field. Microbiology, Pharmaceutical, Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or other Science related field. A microbiology/engineering combination preferred.• 5-7 years in Food or Pharmaceutical (cGMP) Industry experience preferred.• Excellent technical writing and oral communication skills. Good communication skills with varying organization levels.• Excellent computer skills. Microsoft Word and Excel required. Minitab or equivalent statistical software experience preferred. Strong understanding of quality systems, statistical process control, structured problem solving and continuous improvement concepts and practices.• Must have Continuous Improvement experience •Ability to manage multiple projects at one time.• Ability to work independently and as a part of a team. Ability to lead teams that are not direct reports• Ability to drive change and motivate others toward a common vision • Demonstrated facilitation, problem solving, and analytical skills • Desire to own decisions and take responsibility for outcomes • Travel: Travel is initially estimated to be up to 50% on an annual basis. • Office and manufacturing (factory) environments
* What We Can Offer You *
Culture for Growth * |* Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits * |* Every Voice Matters * |* Global Reach * |* Life at Unilever * |* Careers with Purpose * |* World Class Career Development Programs * |* Check Out Our Space * |* Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
Job: Supply Chain
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Englewood Cliffs-Englewood Cliffs -700 Sylvan
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Dec-21-2018
Req ID: 18000GIH