Unilever New York State Bar Association Kenneth G. Standard Diversity Program 2019 Summer Legal Intern in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
The Kenneth G. Standard Diversity Internship Program
Diversity Internship Program Goals
To increase the representation of lawyers and students from a diverse range of backgrounds in corporate legal departments, and to provide students from a diverse range of backgrounds with an opportunity to experience in-house legal practice. The ultimate goal of the Kenneth G. Standard Diversity Internship Program (“the Program”) is to create a network and forge relationships which will foster greater diversity in corporate legal departments. Through the Program, student interns will be provided a meaningful and appropriately supervised work experience by host companies working in partnership with the NYSBA Corporate Counsel Section’s Diversity Internship Committee (the “Internship Committee”).
Students must be class of 2020 or 2021 from under-represented groups attending an accredited law school in New York State and capable of fulfilling the requested work hours and responsibilities. A letter of interest witha discussion about your personal commitment to diversityand inclusion in the legal field and how being from an under-represented group has impactedyou, along with a writing sample and the items listed below, will be required upon application. All materials must be submitted in one pdf.
Host Company: Unilever
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home Care, Personal Care and Refreshment products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2.5 billion consumers a day.
To create the best future for our business and our planet, we need innovative thinking and real vision on our side – and that is why we need the brightest graduate talent on our internships and training programs.Our world-famous brands are totally different – and as people, so are we. Be surrounded by individually different but like-minded people who share your values, commitment and desire to start or pursue a career across different cultures and levels of seniority where you do good things every day.
In the United States and Canada, the portfolio includes brand icons such as: Axe, Becel, Ben & Jerry’s, Breyers, Caress, Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy, Country Crock, Degree, Dollar Shave Club, Dove, Good Humor, Hellmann’s, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!, Klondike, Knorr, Lever 2000, Lipton, Magnum, Nexxus, Noxzema, PG Tips, Pond’s, Popsicle, Promise, Pukka, Pure Leaf, Q-tips, Seventh Generation, Simple, Sir Kensington’s, St. Ives, Suave, T2, Tazo, Talenti Gelato & Sorbetto, TIGI, TRESemmé and Vaseline.
As a Summer Legal Intern, you will be reporting to the General Counsel, Supply Chain & Procurement, North America, and be part of a multi-jurisdictional Supply Chain Legal team which supports Unilever’s supply chain and procurement functions on local, regional and global matters.The position is based in Unilever’s North American headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.
As a summer legal intern, you will gain incomparable insight into the legal issues affecting a multi-national fast moving consumer goods company, and the type of legal services in-house counsel provides to its business partners.During the approximately 9-week program, you will be an active member of the global supply chain and procurement legal team and counted on to assist with both complex projects and day-to-day responsibilities. You will be tasked with actual attorney work. Projects you can expect include: participating in contract reviews and negotiations relating to the development and procurement of raw materials, components and finished products, evaluating critical legal issues related to procurement contracting and operations, supporting supply chain and supplier compliance assessments, including development and implementation of related policies and procedures, assistance on strategic projects and transactions, management of legal service providers, and helping to develop tools and templates to drive efficiencies and best practices in the delivery of in-house legal services.
Further, you will be co-located with Unilever’s U.S. Law Department and may have an opportunity to work on or learn about matters managed by the US Legal function, including commercial transactions, corporate secretarial and legal marketing related matters relating to our brands and operations in the United States.Assignment of work for matters managed by the US Law Department will depend on your availability, subject to prioritizing work for Unilever’s Supply Chain & Procurement Legal function, and the needs of the US Law Department team.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communications and analytical skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively across diverse internal legal and business groups
- A demonstrated ability to work efficiently, meet deadlines, and manage multi-dimensional projects
- Ability to research legal and business issues and learn new concepts quickly
- Positive and professional attitude, including dependability, timeliness, and a penchant for discretion
- Demonstrated aptitude and passion for learning new things
- Flexibility to attend virtual meetings (e.g. Skype) during mornings and evenings, as required, to align with the schedule of a global team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel
Compensation and Key Dates
The Program will begin May 29th, 2019 and end August 2, 2019.The total compensation is at a rate of $1.031.25 per week, for total salary compensation of $9,900 for the scheduled internship period, plus a lump-sum housing allowance of $5,000.The salary rate is based on a 37.5 hour workweek.
The Program schedule is as follows:
- Application Deadline - February 28, 2019
- Interviews - March 1st through 21st
- Intern Selection - March 31st, 2019
- Program Start Date - May 29th, 3019
Student Intern Responsibilities
Submit the following materials by clicking the above "APPLY NOW" button and attaching the completed below application as a PDF document and uploading when prompted to submit additional documents. The application can be located by clicking the "Apply Here" button located at the top right of this posting and submitting the following as one single PDF document:
Student Application Form (see below);
- Letter of interest with a discussion about your personal commitment to diversity in the legal field and how being from an under-represented group has impacted you;
- Current, unofficial law school transcript; and
Complete the internship in accordance with Unilever’s program start and end dates.
- Attend any NYSBA sponsored Diversity Internship Program related meetings/receptions. Currently, one reception planned in late July/early August.
- Complete an evaluation of the NYSBA Diversity Internship Program.
New York State Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section
Kenneth G. Standard Diversity Internship Program
Student Application Form - Unilever
Areas of interest (if applicable): _______________________________________________________________
I understand that if I am selected to participate in the Diversity Internship Program (“Internship Program”), I shall be bound by its requirements which, in addition to any and all other Internship Program requirements, shall include the following:
- Completion of a 9.5-week internship based on 37.5 hours per week with assigned Host Company.
- Attendance at KGS Diversity Internship Program related meetings and/or receptions. Currently, one reception scheduled in late July/early August.
- Completion of an evaluation form rating the Internship Program.
- Understanding that normally the internship will not lead to employment with the Host Company after one graduates, and there is no expectation or obligation for the Host Company to extend an offer of employment.
- Granting to the New York State Bar Association (“NYSBA”), its Corporate Counsel Section and affiliated Committees the unrestricted right and permission to use, re-use, publish and republish my name, image, likeness and/or biography, which may be included intact or in part, through any and all media now or hereafter known, in connection with the activities, services, advertisements, promotion or any other purpose whatsoever related to the Internship Program. Such irrevocable grant of rights shall be effected by submission of this application.
Internship Committee - Contact Information:
New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Corporate Counsel Section
Diversity Internship Committee , Kenneth G. Standard Diversity Internship Program
Contact person: Yamicha Stephenson, Chair; Cell : (347) 200-0128
Email:KGSDiversityInternshipProgram@gmail.comif you have any questions regarding the Kenneth G. Standard Diversity Internship program.
Job: Human Resources
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Englewood Cliffs
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Req ID: 1900018N